Model courseE-2Feel Izu Tobu Volcanic Group -View of the summit of Mt.Omuro and modeling of lava flow-
- East Izu Area - Ito city
- Geological age
- Omuroyama, the largest scoria cone of Izu Tobu Volcanic Group, erupted approximately 4000 years ago.
- Start: Omuroyama lift stationOne lap of the summit crater of OmuroyamaLift stationSakura no SatoOmuroyama lift station：goal
- Walk about 2.4km (cumulative altitude 100m)
- Time required
- About 2 hours
- Meeting place
- Omuroyama Lift Station
Dismissing：Omuroyama Lift Station
Omuroyama was born in the eruption of approximately 4000 years ago. This pretty pudding-shaped mountain was formed by the accumulation of scoria (low-viscosity ejecta splashed out from the crater). If you climb up to the top of the mountain by the lift, you will get a superb view of the Sagami Sea, the Izu Islands, Mt.Fuji, Mt.Hakone and Izu Tobu Volcanic Group.
Start: Omuroyama Lift Station
A 6-minute walk in the air to the top of the mountain by the lift
Omuroyama is the largest scoria cone in Izu Tobu Volcano Group. From its summit you can see various unique monogenic volcanoes such as Komuroyama, Lake Ippekiko, Yahazuyama, etc. You can also overlook a variety of landscapes created by the lava flow from Omuroyama Volcano like Izukogen(lava plateau) and the the Jogasaki coast.
Sakura no Sato: Scoria Raft
Sakura no Sato at the foot of Omuroyama Volcano is a park constructed on the gentle landform of lava flow effused from Omuroyama. In spring it is filled with cherry blossoms in bloom. In this park you can see a unique natural product of lava called "Scoria Raft". When the scoria was carried on top of the flowing lava, and tumbled through the lava flow, it got lava congealed on its side. The Scoria raft draped in layers of lava just like an omelette was thus created.
Sakura no Sato: Ananohara Lava Cave
Ananohara Lava Cave is an open topped lava tunnel made by Omuroyama lava flow. The ceiling of the tunnel collapsed and formed a vertical hole. If you look down from the top of the cave, you will see thick layers of rocks on the wall. To observe layers, you will surely understand that the lava flow flowed several times.
- Entry fee
- Adult: 1,500yen Elementary and middle school student: 750 yen
Lift fee will be charged.
- Number of participants
- 2 to 10 people
- Please reserve one week in advance.
- What to wear and bring
- Walking clothes and footwear, hat, rain gear, drinks, etc.
- Canceled in case of heavy rain, or suspension of the bus service due to stormy weather or snowfall, or when the lift at Omuroyama stops running due to strong wind.
Please confirm about "Cancellation Policy".
- Izu Peninsula Geo Guide Association